For the first recipe this year, I will post something very simple. It is nice to eat when it is cold outside.
Like most of my recipes, this is pretty basic and has a lot of possibilities but is great by itself.
A skillet, slow cooker are required, but I did everything in my Ninja Foodi.
Chicken Buckwheat and Barley Soup2 cups chopped red onion
1 cup diced carrot
1 cup diced celery
- Since this soup will cook in a slow cooker, cut the vegetables relatively in large pieces
- Place the vegetables in a skillet and coat with olive oil
- On medium-low heat, occassionally stir the mirepoix until the onions are transulcent and the carrots are softened
4 cups chicken bone broth
1/2 c pearl barley
1/4 c buckwheat
4 c chicken bone broth
14.5 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Bay leaf
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Mix all the ingrdients in a slow cooker
- Set on low and cook for 6 hours
- When it is done cooking, remove the bay leaf and chicken
- Shred the chicken and stir it in the soup
Do not use instant barley, it will turn into mush cooking for hours.
Quinoa or rice would be a good substitute for the buckwheat. Just barley is good also.