Congee is simply a rice porridge. By itself, this recipe is nothing special, at all. In fact, it is quite bland.
This is a base recipe, meant to be part of something bigger and better. It can also be altered into something better and used as a standalone.
Instead of water, a light broth can be used. I think that would be better if using it immediately and not part of something else.
Congee1 cup white rice - like jasmine
About 10 cups water
- Rinse the rice in cold water
- On hight heat, boil the water
- Add the rice, stir
- Reduce heat so the water will be at a low simmer, cover, but not tightly
- Simmer for about 2 hours, stirring frequently
- It is done when the rice starts to break down and has the consistancy of a thick porridge
This can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Make sure you don’t cook it on a heat setting that is too high and forget to stir often. It is not hard to make but also easy to turn into a burnt mess.