This is a light recipe that is perfect for a hot day. It can be used in cold drinks or just eaten.
Lime Sherbet2 c. whole milk
1 1/2 c. sugar
- Place the milk in a saucepan over medium heat
- Grate the limes and put the zest in the pan, set the limes aside to juice
- Stir in the sugar
- Heat and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved
- Remove from heat and place the mixture in a bowl and put in refrigerator and cool completely
- At any point, the mixture may curdle, just stir it until it is smooth again
- Stir the lime juice into the chilled mixture
- Transfer it to your ice cream machine, and freeze, following the instructions for your unit
- When the mixture is done churning place the sherbet into freezer-safe containers and freeze for at least an hour
This recipe makes about a half gallon - a bit under 1.9 liters. Here is a basic primer on homemade ice cream.
It should stay good in the freezer for a week or so.