This is a pretty basic, but flexible recipe. Feel free to adjust and replace things. The only mystery is why this is called shredded chicken, but do the same thing with pork, and it is called pulled pork.
Chicken Salad1 whole chicken
- Place the chicken in a large pot and fill with water to cover the chicken
- Bring to a boil, and reduce to medium
- Let simmer for around 2 hours, until the chicken is at around 200 F
- Remove the chicken, it will be falling apart, tongs are useful here
- Set aside to cool for a little
- Remove the skin and with two forks, shred the chicken
Two lemons, juiced
2 tsp dried lemon rind or the shavings from the lemons
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp dill seeds - optional
1 Tbsp dried rosemary - optional
1 tsp balsamic vinegar - optional
- Mix all of the ingredients together and mix well with the shredded chicken
- Chill for at least 30 minutes, or overnight
- There are many ways to use this, discussed below
Depending on the size of the chicken, you may need to adjust the mayo and spices. Remember, chickens can not swim so don’t drown them in mayo!
You can use this to make sandwiches, or wraps. Here are some bread recipes. I will add some wrap recipes, hopefully soon-ish.™.
Tomatoes, cucumbers, etc can be added to this to add a bit of flash.
An ‘interesting’ thing to do is take a lettuce that has large, thick leaves and use that as a wrap. Quick, easy and low carbs. Butter lettuce works great.