Sadly, it has been cold and very wet all spring, so I am still making soups. On the plus side, this is now one of the few areas of the west where the drought is actually getting better, and my roses are absolutely gorgeous this year.
This is a very simple recipe that can be altered endlessly.
Chicken stock, plus ground chicken or turkey would be super great. Or, use beef cubed. Lots of different vegetables and peppers or chilis can be added or substituted. By itself, this is not a spicy recipe.
This can also stand on its own.
Taco Soup2 tbsp olive oil
1 white onion, chopped
2 bell peppers, any color,chopped
- Heat a stock pot over medium heat
- Add the oil and heat until it shimmers
- Add the onion and peppers
- Cook while stirring until the peppers are soft. About 5 minutes
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp smoked paprika
- Add the beef and spices
- Stir and cook until the beef is browned
2 cups canned diced tomatoes, drained
2 cups tomato sauce
- Add the stock, sauce, and tomatoes
- Simmer for 10 minutes
1 14 oz can kidney beans, drained
1 14 oz can corn, drained
1/2 cup salsa
- Stir in the beans, corn and salsa.
- Simmer for 5 minutes
This is typically served with tortilla chips, shredded cheese - Mexican cheese, cheddar, Monteray Jack, or pepper jack. If you are a savage, sour cream.