This is a lighter tasting chocolate ice cream as in not oppressively chocolate.
Perhaps I am just a bad cook, but this does not turn out as a solid chocolate color. It is a mix of white and brown, I am not sure how to describe it. Marbled is not quite right.
Anyway, it is really super good!
Chocolate Ice Cream6 oz unsweetened chocolate
2 1/1 cups sugar
4 lightly beaten eggs
4 cups whole milk
4 cups whipping cream - 36%-40% fat content
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tbsp vanilla extract
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler and stir until it is in a thick paste
- Mix in the rest of the ingredients - *except for the cream and vanilla*, make sure it is well mixed
- Transfer the mixture to a normal pot and over low heat
- Stir constantly until it is very smooth
- Refrigerate until cool
- When it is cool, blend in the whipping cream and vanilla
- Place the mixture in the churner container until it stops
- Either seal up the churner container or transfer the mixture into a proper container and place it in the freezer for at least a few hours
This will make about 1 gallon so adjust as needed to fit your churner.
Most chocolate in the US comes in 1 ounce squares, so if my awesome math skills are correct that means you use 6 squares.
If you don’t have a double boiler, add 1/2 cup of cold water to the chocolate to melt it, otherwise it will overheat and destroy the taste.