This is also called Lajiao You.
The best part of making this was how wonderful it made my kitchen smell.
It is fairly hot, so feel free to decrease the amount of chili flakes.
Typically, neutral oils like canola or vegetable oil is used and that can be used here. I used grapeseed oil because it is a clean neutral oil that is healthier than canola or vegetable oil.
Chili Oil4 cups of grapeseed oil
2 cinnamon sticks
10 star anise
6 Tbsp Sichuan peppercorns (1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp)
2 cups crushed red chili flakes
- Place everything in a cookpot, *except* for the red chili.
- Heat it up with medium low heat until it just starts to simmer
- Reduce temperature to low, continue simmering the oil for 30 minutes
- Place the red chili in a metal or heat resistant glass bowl
- Hold a metal strainer over the bowl and carefully pour the oil into it.
- Discard the peppercorns, star anise and cinnamon sticks
- Stir the oil and red chili together
- Before moving it to an airtight container let it cool at least two hours.
Stored in an airtight container at room temperature, this should stay good for a few months.