Yes, yes all gummy bears are kid friendly, but they are not safe for kids to make them. The other gummy bear recipe involves a sticky mixture heated to 260 F!
This is a recipe that is safer for kids to help, and depending on their age, they could even do it on their own. It is not quite the same but still good and unless your kids are world-renowned gummy bear connoisseurs, it will probably pass muster. There are lots of very similar recipes online, so why not add to the bloated number of recipes?
This is a gelatin-based recipe, so the potential flavors are wider than what is typically available in extracts.
Gummy Bears1/3 cup cold water
3 oz whatever flavor of gelatin
1/4 oz unflavored gelatin
1/4 tsp of a matching extract (optional)
- The extract is just to knock it up a notch and not necessary if using a good quality gelatin.
- Using a paper towel with sprayed on oil, lightly grease the molds.
- Combine the three ingredients in a microwave safe bowl or measuring cup with a spout.
- Make sure the gelatin is dissolved. Let it sit about 15 minutes.
- Microwave the mixture for 30 seconds.
- Using a whisk, blend well.
- If everything is not dissolved, microwave an additional 15-20 second and stir.
- Pour the mixture into the molds straight from the measuring cup or use silicone droppers.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Remove the bears from the molds.
- Keep them in a airtight container and should stay fresh for a few weeks, store in at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
Like the other gummy bear recipe, add food-grade citrus acid for sour gummy bears. About a 1/4 teaspoon straight into the mixture or 1 teaspoon of citric acid per 1 cup of sugar to coat the bears. This recipe also produces sticky bears. Removing them from the molds and letting them sit helps, as does a very light coat of cornstarch or powdered sugar. The cornstarch or sugar should absorb into the bears unless you use too much which is very easy to do.
Adding citric acid to the mixture makes them softer and more sticky. Additional setting time and use of powdered sugar or corn starch is helpful.
Quick and easy and far less likely to leave permanent burn scars on yourself or your kids.
Even I did not burn myself, which is a minor miracle.